Luis Seabra 2020 'Xisto Ilimitado' Tinto, Douro DOC

Item Number: 18080

UPC: 5-600790052064

Country: Portugal
Region: Douro
Sub Region: Douro
Appellation/AVA: Douro DOC
Estate Grown Wine: No
Vintage: 2020
Grape(s): 30% Touriga Franca / 20% Tinta Amarela / 20% Tinta Roriz / 10% Rufete / 10% Tinta Barroca / 5% Malvasia Petra / 5% Donzelinho Tinto
Type: Wine - Red
Bottle Size: 750 ml
Pack: 12
Closure: Cork
Alc by Vol(%): 13
Soil Type: yellow schist
Elevation: 400-600 meters

Winemaking Notes: The vineyards are located in Cima Corgo which is a subregion that experiences extreme highs and lows from a temperature standpoint, with some of the greatest day-night temperature deltas in Portugal. As such the fruit experiences extended hangtime. The vines were planted between 1960 and 1980, and are sustainably farmed. Once harvested, 30% is fermented in stone lagar with foot pigeage and the other 70% in vat and 100% whole cluster. All is fermented with 100% natural yeast. Maceration in lagar is for 8 days; vat for 25 days. The wine is then racked to neutral barrel for one year followed by five months in tank.

Tasting Notes: Pomegranate, chocolate covered orange peel, blueberries, and a touch of barnyard, because we all love a little dirt in our wine these days. Like a snuggly bear rug on a cold day, this is your go-to comfort bottle to ease those wintry blues.

Pair with roasted lamb, oily sardines with buttery bread, or Ratatouille.


  • The Wine Advocate
    Rating: 89 (7/29/2022)

    The 2020 Xisto Ilimitado is a blend of 30% Touriga Franca, 20% Tinta Amarela and 20% Tinta Roriz, with Rufete, Tinta Barroca and others filling out the blend, all aged for 14 months in used French oak. It comes in at 13.2% alcohol. The Mono C and the Xisto Cru reds will not be made this year, so that juice went here. This was only in bottle a week when seen, but it seemed to show plenty of potential for the price category. Tight and fresh, this finishes with some tannic pop and flavor, a nice combination, but right now it is mostly tight. This will likely seem better at the end of the year or in the middle of 2023. It should be a nice bargain.
  • The Wine Spectator
    Rating: 90 (11/15/2023)

    A silky, medium- to full-bodied red, featuring fragrant wild herb and floral accents to the flavors of bitter cherry reduction and blackberry coulis, with a touch of coffee liqueur. Reveals chalky tannins that emerge to firm the finish.