Tommaso Bussola (500 ml) 2016 Recioto della Valpolicella Classico DOCG

Tommaso Bussola (500 ml) 2016 Recioto della Valpolicella Classico DOCG

Item Number: 16482

UPC: None

Country: Italy
Region: Veneto
Sub Region: Valpolicella
Appellation/AVA: Recioto della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
Estate Grown Wine: Yes
Vintage: 2016
Grape(s): 35% Corvina / 30% Corvinone / 30% Rondinella / 5% Molinara
Type: Wine - Dessert
Bottle Size: 500 ml
Pack: 6
Closure: Cork
Residual Sugar(g/L): 93 g/L
Viticulture: Practicing Organic
Elevation: 280-450 meters

Tommaso is the master of Recioto, and even his normale can challenge the region’s elite.

Winemaking Notes: The grapes to produce this recioto are selected in the middle of September. They’re brought in the fruttaio (special drying room) and left in plastic plateaux to dry naturally for 4 months. 70% of the grapes stay there for 120 days while the remaining 30% stays for about 180 days. In January the first part of the grapes is pressed, and fermentation starts with selected yeasts after 15 days of maceration. During the next 30 days, pump overs and skin submersions are performed daily. The rest of the grapes that had been drying is then added to the wine starting a second fermentation which will last for 30 days. After this period, it is moved to a steel tank with its fine lees, where it completes its fermentation and aging.

Aging: 36 months in stainless steel tank

91pts (2017 Vintage) Wine Spectator 3/31/2023
"A bright, silky recioto, featuring baked raspberry, plum sauce, vanilla and orange liqueur flavors that are underscored by a savory thread of dusty spices and shy smoke. Long and lightly mouthwatering on the fragrant finish."

Reviews

  • Vinous
    Rating: 94 (4/14/2022)

    The 2016 Recioto della Valpolicella Classico opens with a seductive mix of medicinal cherries and strawberries giving way to exotic spices and a dusting of mocha. This impresses with a tart raspberry burst up front and a spicy twang of citrus, bright acids and saline-minerals. The 2016 is a total wine of contrasts, finishing straining and long, while leaving the mouth watering for more. It's incredible to think that his maintains 93 grams of residual sugar, because it's nearly imperceptible. Stunning.